Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Writing like a Kolhapuri..


I find great similarity between traveling and writing..both are best done when someone is footloose and fancy free, without inhibitions and seeing things from one's own perspective while keeping in mind that of other's too, but never letting it intimidate your style. Let it mould you just that enough to make you into someone tangible and yet just out of reach. The only thing you need to know while traveling is ..How to lose yourself, similarly the best of writing can only be done when you can look at situations and even yourself objectively. I often find a 'Kolhapuri' to be like a bohemian traveler, unassuming, non fussy and yet naturally classy. Much like a writer out to discover I think..

Like Nissim Ezekiel says -

"Always, amongst the Sun's eye's,
Here among the beggars,
Hawkers pavement sleepers,
Hutment dwellers, Slums
...I ride my elephant of thought,
A Cézanne slung around my neck."

( Image courtesy Google Images)

6 comments:

Raj said...

Your writing is always like a breath of fresh air. So refreshing. That was a lovely comparison between travelling and writing. And I couldn't agree more. Both give immense pleasure when we let ourselves free.

umashankar said...

You surprised me with this one! Like Those lines from Nissim Ezekiel stump me every time I come across them.

Maitreyee Bhattacharjee Chowdhury said...

Thanks Umashankar & Raj for reading and adding your dimensions to this..Nissim Ezekiel is yes refreshingly different :)

Rahul Bhatia said...

I fully endorse your perspective of similarity of writing and traveling being an avid traveler myself:)

CYNOSURE said...

a unique comparison...nice one... :)

Maitreyee Bhattacharjee Chowdhury said...

Rahul, Cynosure..thanks much :)